The used HP Proliant DL380 G4 is now mine!Â Â The “Buy Now” bid was officially accepted today on eBay.Â Now I just have to wait until my wonderful wife can pick up the item the next time she’s in the Bay Area…
I am making arrangements to obtain an HP ProLiant DL380 G4 64-bit Rack Server.Â Â This is a professional-grade server, but it’s about two generations old, so it can be had at a totally reasonable price.Â Â Here are some of the specs:
- (2) 64-bit IntelÂ® Xeonâ„¢ processors at 3.4 GHz.
- 800MHz Front Side Bus and 2MB of L2 cache.
- Intel E7520 Chipset.
- (6) 2 GB PC2-3200R 400MHz DDR2Â Ready SlotsÂ with online spare capabilities.
- 6x 2048MB (12288MB total) HP PC2-3200 DDR2 RAM.
- Support for dual-rank 400MHz DDR2 memory.
- SCSI model includes the integrated Smart Array 6i Ultra320 Array Controller with optional 128MB of Battery Backed Write Cache (BBWC standard).
Internal Drive Support:
- HP Smart Array 6i Ultra320 SCSI Controller with Internal hot plug capacity 1.8TB standard (6 x 300GB HDD).
- (6) hot-plug U320 SCSI drive bays, of which (1) 1.6″ bay that supports a hot-plug DAT tape backup drive.
- (6) 72.4GB HP 10K Wide Ultra320 SCSI Hard Drives.
- (1) 1x IDE CD-ROM.
- Optional PCI-X Hot-plug cage or Optional PCI Express Non-hot plug Cage.
- Optional dual channel drive backplane (2/4 split) for U320 SCSI models.
- Embedded NC7782 PCI-X Gigabit Server Adapter.
- Embedded “Integrated Lights Out” (iLO) port for Remote Admin.
- 3 Total Available Slots : (2) non-hot plug 64-bit/100MHz PCI-X slots and (1) non-hot plug 64-bit/133MHz PCI-X slot.
USB 2.0 Ports:
- 3 Total: (1) front, (2) rear accessible ports.
- (8) Hot Plug Fans with optional full redundancy.
- (2) Hot Plug Power Supply with optional redundancy.
- HP Power Regulator for ProLiant, delivering server level, policy based power management with industry leading energy efficiency and savings on system power and cooling costs.
- Integrated Lights-Out industry leading remote management with new support for two-factor authentication, schema-free Microsoft Active Directory integration, Power Regulator p-state reporting, USB key virtual media and VLAN on the shared network port.
- Integrated Lights-Out (iLO) Standard Management on system board.
- Support for new iLO Shared Network Port enables access to the iLO management processor through one of the embedded system NICs.
- Automatic Server Recovery (ASR), ROM Based Setup Utility (RBSU), HP System Insight Manager, Status LEDs including system health and UID and SmartStart.
Pretty sweet, huh?
I”m going to be installing Microsoft’s Small Business Server OS on top of it, and see how well that works out.Â Â Â I’m hoping that this new (to me) serverÂ willÂ take good care of me and my business for years to come!