I am making arrangements to obtain an HP ProLiant DL380 G4 64-bit Rack Server.Â Â This is a professional-grade server, but it’s about two generations old, so it can be had at a totally reasonable price.Â Â Here are some of the specs:
- (2) 64-bit IntelÂ® Xeonâ„¢ processors at 3.4 GHz.
- 800MHz Front Side Bus and 2MB of L2 cache.
- Intel E7520 Chipset.
- (6) 2 GB PC2-3200R 400MHz DDR2Â Ready SlotsÂ with online spare capabilities.
- 6x 2048MB (12288MB total) HP PC2-3200 DDR2 RAM.
- Support for dual-rank 400MHz DDR2 memory.
- SCSI model includes the integrated Smart Array 6i Ultra320 Array Controller with optional 128MB of Battery Backed Write Cache (BBWC standard).
Internal Drive Support:
- HP Smart Array 6i Ultra320 SCSI Controller with Internal hot plug capacity 1.8TB standard (6 x 300GB HDD).
- (6) hot-plug U320 SCSI drive bays, of which (1) 1.6″ bay that supports a hot-plug DAT tape backup drive.
- (6) 72.4GB HP 10K Wide Ultra320 SCSI Hard Drives.
- (1) 1x IDE CD-ROM.
- Optional PCI-X Hot-plug cage or Optional PCI Express Non-hot plug Cage.
- Optional dual channel drive backplane (2/4 split) for U320 SCSI models.
- Embedded NC7782 PCI-X Gigabit Server Adapter.
- Embedded “Integrated Lights Out” (iLO) port for Remote Admin.
- 3 Total Available Slots : (2) non-hot plug 64-bit/100MHz PCI-X slots and (1) non-hot plug 64-bit/133MHz PCI-X slot.
USB 2.0 Ports:
- 3 Total: (1) front, (2) rear accessible ports.
- (8) Hot Plug Fans with optional full redundancy.
- (2) Hot Plug Power Supply with optional redundancy.
- HP Power Regulator for ProLiant, delivering server level, policy based power management with industry leading energy efficiency and savings on system power and cooling costs.
- Integrated Lights-Out industry leading remote management with new support for two-factor authentication, schema-free Microsoft Active Directory integration, Power Regulator p-state reporting, USB key virtual media and VLAN on the shared network port.
- Integrated Lights-Out (iLO) Standard Management on system board.
- Support for new iLO Shared Network Port enables access to the iLO management processor through one of the embedded system NICs.
- Automatic Server Recovery (ASR), ROM Based Setup Utility (RBSU), HP System Insight Manager, Status LEDs including system health and UID and SmartStart.
- Rack (2U), (3.5-inch).
Pretty sweet, huh?
I”m going to be installing Microsoft’s Small Business Server OS on top of it, and see how well that works out.Â Â Â I’m hoping that this new (to me) serverÂ willÂ take good care of me and my business for years to come!